Pages

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

New Life: How This Pregnancy is Different

When I found out I was pregnant, I was filled with joy and dread at the same time. I am not dreading the baby by any means - I truthfully cannot wait for those 2 AM feedings, countless diapers, and the cutest little smiles imaginable. I think infancy is magical, so that part is a blessing. The part I dreaded with the morning sickness, weight gain, lethargy. After working so hard to lose 60 pounds, I just knew I'd automatically blow up like a Macy's Thanksgiving Day balloon. But that wasn't so!

So far I am 14 1/2 weeks, and this has been a far different, and much better, experience from my last pregnancy. I am not dealing with the constant morning sickness. I have learned that if I eat carbs and protein every 2-3 hours, I can avoid the nausea and keep my energy up. There were a few days before I learned all this when I didn't feel like leaving the couch, but I got over it quickly. I also feel like my diet has made this pregnancy better. Throughout my 1st pregnancy, I was addicted to Dr. Pepper and had at least one every day. The constant blend of caffeine and sugar gave me the great sugar rush and crash that only made lethargy  worse. This time I am drinking tons of water and trying to eat as many fruits and veggies as possible.

I'm also keeping my weight in check. My doctor told me that as long as Prairie Babe is gaining, everything is fine. I did automatically raise my calories up to 2000 a day to ensure Prairie Babe and I get enough but not too many. Of course if I have a treat every once in a while, I don't worry about it. I know this is the one time I am getting help at burning off calories, so I am taking advantage of it. Having a few, limited indulgences also keeps my mood up so I don't feel deprived.

With Prairie Dad after our 5K race
The big surprise during this pregnancy is how active I am. My doctor told me I'm like a different patient, and she's right. On Saturday, Prairie Dad and I ran a 5K. I did about half running/half walking, but it was still a 5K! The next day, I biked 6.5 miles on our recumbent stationary bike. That certainly didn't happen last time. The last time, a workout consisted of me walking around Wal-Mart to get groceries. Keep in mind that my exercise is being monitored by my doctor, so we are being safe about it, but she told me not to slow down anytime soon - the more I exercise the better off Prairie Babe and I will be.

More than ever I am so thankful for the changes I've made in my life. Changing my diet and building exercise habits in advance is making this pregnancy easier than I imagined. And by sticking with my lifestyle, especially when it would be so easy to give it up, I know that my recovering will be easier.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on being so healthy! I'm due in a month, and have been stressing about gaining weight and not being active enough. I just feel so big, heavy, and uncoordinated, and the last thing I want to do is work out. It's inspiring to hear about your healthy habits though, and nice to see your MyFitness Pal ticker. I plan on using that app to help me lose the baby weight postpartum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on your future babe! It's not too late to get started though - a daily walk can make you feel better and make your labor easier too. I can tell you from experience though - I think all women feel big and uncoordinated by the last month! Prayers for an easy delivery, and if you ever want to talk when you start your weightloss journey, don't hesitate to contact me!

      Delete