Pages

Sunday, January 13, 2013

DIY Organic Coconut Lotion

I hate chemicals. I don't like them in my house, the air, my food, or on my skin. I try to avoid them whenever possible, but a lot of them can be hidden. I've learned a lot in the past year about reading labels to avoid chemicals in my health and beauty products. Just because something says "natural" doesn't mean that it's good for you. In fact, in the health and beauty industry, there is no regulation of what the word "natural" really means. Sure, it could have natural oils in it or oatmeal or honey, but it could also have nasty things like sulfates, ammonia, parabens, and even petroleum.

When I'm forced to buy ready-made products, I like to check the Skin Deep Cosmetics Database to find the safest products available to me. But when possible, I like to make my own. Since winter is a harsh time of year for the skin, I need a good moisturizer, especially after washing dishes and shaving my legs. My little Prairie Girl also has very sensitive skin and eczema, so I need something to help her too. So instead of turning to the cosmetics counter, I turned to my kitchen.

The benefits of coconut oil have long been touted for everything from weightloss and blood pressure to skin and dental care. It is antimicrobial, antibacterial, and antifungal. When used for skin care, it can help heal cuts, bruises, and abrasions, and it can relieve problems like eczema, psoriasis, and infections. This makes it a perfect base for homemade lotion.

There many brands and types of coconut oil on the market, but my choice is always organic. By choosing organic, I know that it has no added chemicals, and that it was produced without pesticides. The two types of organic oil are refined and virgin. While the overall benefits of each kind are heavily debated, I chose refined because it is made from dried coconut rather than fresh like virgin oil. I have an internal allergy to fresh coconut, and by using refined oil that is void of coconut scent and taste, I thought I could avoid all reactions. However, if you are not allergic, I strongly recommend using virgin oil

To make the lotion, I whipped 1 cup of coconut oil, 1 teaspoon of vitamin E oil, and 5 drops of peppermint essential oil on high for 10 minutes. Experiment with other essential oils to create your own favorite fragrance! The lotion should be smooth and creamy. Altitude and temperature will determine how fluffy the mixture is after it is whipped.

Coconut oil is very temperature sensitive. If it is too cold, it will turn solid. It will also liquefy if it is too warm. This will not affect its benefits.  When using it, just be sure used a small amount and to rub it in completely and allow a minute or two for all the oil to absorb. There should not be any oily residue on your skin.

I've only used it for a few days, but I've already seen great results. My skin is smoother, and all of the red, rough patches on my hands and legs have cleared. It erased my "dish pan hands" and my winter's itch eczema.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! A light bulb just went off! Eczema! I'll have to try this as the hubs has eczema and is always losing his prescription cream that never seems to provide much relief for long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! And you can adjust the fragrance with the essential oil of your choice (especially if your man doesn't like smelling minty!). I only used a few drops because my mother is very sensitive to smells, and she got half of my first batch. The next time, I will make it more fragrant, and I might go with lemon oil.

      Delete
  2. Hi! did you melt your coconut oil prior to whipping it with the other ingredients or whipped it as a solid?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi KristieP! My kitchen is usually pretty warm, so the coconut oil is usually in a semi-solid form making it very soft and easy to whip. Since it melts so quickly, you can usually just sit it out on the counter to soften a bit. Thanks for reading!

      Delete