Pages

Sunday, January 20, 2013

New Life: Baby Steps to Healthy Eating

While exercise and other factors contribute to weight loss, the greatest factor is diet. When I use the term "diet," I'm talking about your daily eating habits - not a sporadic program that you try for a few weeks to lose a few pounds. Your diet should be a lifestyle because you won't see permanent results unless you make permanent changes.

Food is a priority in my household. We believe in buying good quality food, preparing it with love, and receiving it with enjoyment. We try to avoid processed foods, artificial flavors, colors, and sweeteners, and most importantly, refined sugar. But it wasn't always like this. If you've been following along, you know we used to eat all of those things, and keep copious amount of them in the house. Our transition to healthy eating didn't happen all at once though - it has been a slow, steady process on which I am constantly working.

I think the most important thing I have learned while losing weight is that to make great changes, a person has to take baby steps. Too many transitions too fast will only lead to confusion and failure. I am constantly tweaking my eating and exercise plans to make them cleaner, healthier, and more effective, and this has produced the best results.


Let's put a myth to rest right now: all calories are not created equal. Eating 1200 calories of junk is not the same as eating 1200 calories of healthy food. The types of calories we eat great affect how we process, store, and burn fat.


My lifestyle changes officially started April 1, 2012. On that day, I made a few promises to myself and my family of things we would avoid.

Soda - This was a big one for me. I had been consuming 500-1000 calories a day in pure sugary beverage. Soda has absolutely no nutritional benefits. The phosphoric acid depletes calcium levels in the body and causes bone erosion, and the levels of sodium, sugar, and caffeine affect the liver and metabolic functions. Diet soda is not any better, and many scientists believe it is worse because the artificial sweeteners cause formaldehyde build up in the brain and digestive system.

High Fructose Corn Syrup  - Contrary to what the HFCS companies would have you believe, it is not natural nor is it healthy. HFCS does have corn in it, but it also has several chemicals that if consumed in even small amounts by themselves would be toxic. HFCS is also metabolized differently by the liver. Since the molecules are already broken down, the liver has little work to do and can immediately store it as fat. Natural sweeteners such as honey and maple syrup require the liver to work and break them down.

Partially hydrogenated oils - Partially hydrogenated oils are man made byproducts that are used as a fat source. They are very similar to plastic in composition, and like HFCS, they are metabolized differently than their natural counterparts. They also contribute to heart disease and inflammation in the body.

You're probably thinking "so what's left to eat?" Well - a lot! Instead of soda, I had a lot of water. I also discovered the world of tea. Flavored teas (I'm talking about those made with plant leaves - not artificial concentrates) can be left unsweetened, and they are loaded with antioxidants. And best of all, they are calorie free! Instead of cookies and crackers loaded with oils, I found other things to munch on like homemade sweet potato french fries, fresh fruit dipped in natural peanut  butter, oatmeal with maple syrup, and homemade muffins made with applesauce.

The most difficult thing to eliminate was HFCS. It's in everything from children's juice boxes to frozen dinners. The most popular place to find it is in desserts. So, we simplified. Instead of cookies and candy bars, we keep a bag of natural dark chocolate chips. Just a few can satisfy a craving. I only buy 100% juice for my daughter. As for all the other "stuff" - we don't need it.

Reading labels is key to a good diet. Know what's in your food, and know how it affects your body. If you don't feel like you can cut out several things at once, start with one. Make a vow to remove one toxin from your diet, and when you've accomplished that, you can move on to another one. It's all about baby steps.

1 comment:

  1. I WISH that eating 1200 calories of junk was the same as 1200 calories of healthy food. But I know. I AM on one of those programs which I consider a lifestyle change. I was successful at it before (about 10 years ago) and I've always kept it in mind since then (how many points this is). Though I was mindful, I let myself slip. Not buy choice, I've cut out wine (seems I became allergic to it) but that help in cutting out a big calorie. Visiting via TALU. If you are interested on Wednesdays I post a Weight Watchers update. I am doing that particular post thru Mother's Day when I hope to reach my first goal.

    ReplyDelete