Pages

Thursday, February 14, 2013

DIY Easy Valentine Wreath

I love Valentine's Day, and so does Prairie Girl. I love any holiday associated with love. I'm a generally bubbly person anyway, but a day devoted to hearts and flowers and romance sends me over the moon. Prairie Girl thinks it's a day just for her family since pink is my favorite color (and hers too!) and red is Prairie Dad's favorite.



Even though I love it, I'm not the kind of person who's going to cover the house in balloons and glitter to celebrate. I like simple decorations. And you can't get much more simple than my V-Day wreath.

I bought a a heart-shaped wire frame at Hobby Lobby. At $3 it's a steal, but a 40% off coupon makes it even better. Picking the tulle was easy - pink and red with a little white filler.  I picked up the tulle at Hobby Lobby too when it was 50%. I did not use all 3 spools, but since I paid for all of them, we'll say the total cost for this project was about $10.

Then came the hardest part of the whole project - cutting dozens of strips of tulle! I highly recommend using a cutting mat and rotary cutter so you can measure each strip and so the cutter won't get snagged like scissors can.

After I had all of my strips, I tied them around the wreath, alternating the colors as I went. A word of caution: tie all of your knots identically so your tulle is going the same direction. I used simple slip knots to make the tulle lay evenly.

After I tied all the of the knots, I fluffed out the wreath and used scissors to trims it up to make it more even. It is now hanging on our back door to welcome all who enter.

No comments:

Post a Comment