Pages

Friday, February 1, 2013

Reaching the Resolution - February

At the beginning of each month, I'll check in with my progress with my new year's resolutions. While this is mainly to keep myself accountable, I hope that my readers will consider their own life goals and evaluate their progress. 

When I made my new year's resolutions, I was filled with optimism. After a hard month has gone by, that optimism is still there, but the drive behind it has dwindled. But I am not the kind to lose hope. I didn't make resolutions for them to be forgotten - I made them to better myself and maybe even to inspire others. Here's my progress (or lack of).

1. Devote more time to studying God's word and prayer
I admit, I feel like a failure on this one. While I knowing I've been praying my heart out all month, it wasn't the way I had really intended. We've had struggles this month. I lost my grandmother, my husband was very ill, and I went back to working nights at the library. While I skimmed through my Bible for comfort, I didn't devote time to studying it or reading my devotional books because I felt like I didn't have time. This is my biggest regret this month.

2. Establish a homeschooling routine for my daughter
This may be my most successful resolution this month. I have been working with Prairie Girl as many days as possible, and we've developed a curriculum that works for her so far. We're using a combination of materials from ABC Jesus Loves Me and letteroftheweek.com, and we both love it. She loves the routine and learning new things, and giving her that has made her much more calm and focused, even when we aren't having our school time. My hope for February is that I can incorporate more art and science into the curriculum.

3. Make our home more eco-friendly by eliminating plastics and using more natural products
This has also been a success this month. I've been reading Plastic Free: How I Kicked the Plastic Habit and How You Can Too by Beth Terry, and it is changing my life. I've eliminated almost all of the plastic storage food containers in my kitchen, given up frozen dinners, and diligently used my reusable shopping bags. I've also been able to find more natural body care products for myself and Prairie Girl, and I've found ways to eliminate some plastic packaged items from our lifestyle. I am loving all of it, and I feel like my house is a healthier, happier place because of it.

4. Avoid buying things I don't need while de-cluttering excess from my home - to the extreme!

Also a success. I greatly down-sized my shopping habit and have been running errands just one day a week. I've resisted purchases and walked out of stores empty handed when I didn't find what I needed (as opposed to settling for some second rate product I didn't need). As for de-cluttering, I've donated several huge bags to charity, given away items to friends and relatives, and sold items online. I'm in no way done, but I've made significant progress, and as I get rid of more, it's easier to let go and discover how little I need.


5. Finish the craft projects I started in 2012 and use up my current supplies
Another failure. I completed about 5 rows on a potholder I'm knitting, and that's it for this month's craft projects. There just wasn't time.

6. Lose the last 13 pounds so I can finally achieve the 120s for the first time in my life

I wouldn't exactly call this one a failure because I didn't gain any weight this month, I just didn't lose any. But I didn't try. After losing weight for 8 straight months, I gave myself a little break. I couldn't handle the stress of life and scrutinizing every bite I ate, so instead, I gave myself a little flexibility. I feel good about it though and will hopefully be back to losing in February.

7. Limit my computer usage so that I can accomplish more

I did limit myself when I thought about it. I refused to take my iPad out of town with me, and I purposefully logged off some sites so I wouldn't be so tempted to check them throughout the day. I am planning to start measuring my time at the computer so I better gauge how to limit my usage.

Overall, I think I had a pretty good month for progress. Like I said, it was a hard month that was far from the norm. February may be short, but I think it will bring good things. At least I am starting with good plans.

What were your successes and failures this past month? Feel free to share so we can help and encourage each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment